Basu told reporters at his Indira Bhavan residence on Monday, “The chief minister had told me these men would be removed. But I hear the government has still not issued any order. I have to find out what is happening about those two.” Basu was referring to assistant commissioner Sukanti Chakraborty and sub-inspector Krishnendu Das.
On Friday, the former chief minister had created confusion when he announced that the two officers had been suspended. This statement was later denied by the home secretary. Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had declined comment on Basu’s statement. Monday to ended without any official action against the two officers concerned, both of the anti-rowdy squad. The government is also not opening its mouth on deputy commissioners Gyanwant Singh and Ajoy Kumar — who are said to have acted at the insistance of Priyanka’s father Ashok Todi, in trying to armtwist Rizwanur.
Basu also reiterated his displeasure at Police Commissioner Prasun Mukherjee for the remarks he made at a press conference shortly after Rizwanur’s death. Mukherjee, while trying to shield the two DCs, had said the police had done the right thing in interfering in the marriage. “If the police are not to interfere, who will? The PWD?” Mukherjee is reported to have said. Basu said on Monday: “I repeat, what the police commissioner said was wrong.” He added, “So many days have passed, what is the police doing? We still don’t know if it was suicide or murder.”