Ajay Devgn Films (ADF) has filed a complaint in The Competition Commission Of India (CCI) alleging that Yash Raj Films (YRF), headed by the legendary filmmaker, had used its dominant position following which Devgn's movie is not finding enough single screen theatres for his film's exhibition.
The 43-year-old actor said he had filed the notice much before the demise of Yash Chopra (October 21).
“I had filed the complaint much before the demise of Yash Chopra. When this happened I was like people are going to target me and nobody is going to understand my point of view...I was a villain on both sides. I couldn't withdraw it (notice) from the Competition Commission... It is not a normal court,” Ajay said.
“I respected Yashji as much anybody else does. We have grown up watching his films,” he added.
Both are awaited movies of the year, given the fact that 'JTHJ' is late filmmaker Chopra's last directorial before his sudden death last month, marking the union of Chopra with powerbrand Shah Rukh Khan after eight years, and 'SoS' is ADF's trademark Diwali entertainer high on comic expectations.
Ajay claims that YRF has 'armtwisted' exhibitors to dedicate more screens to 'JTHJ', than his 'SoS', both which are up for release on November 13.
He insists that he has been fighting for his right and asking only for a fair view on the matter.
“I am fighting for my right. I am not asking anyone to stop the release of a film, I am not asking for compensation, I am asking them to be fair,” he said.
“I want both the films to do well. Even by filing this I don't think I have done anything that will harm anyone. If I lose then it won't be my benefit but if I win also it won't be a loss to anyone,” he added.
Ajay also said he has no grudges against anyone as he is fighting for his rights as a producer.
“I have put forward my grievances. I don't have issues with anyone. Tomorrow if this thing gets solved we will be like one big family...I will not keep any grudges against anyone,” he said.
Though the controversy came to light recently but the issue has been going on for almost three months.
“We have been fighting on this with the exhibitors and distributors to a point where they cannot do anything. And then we decided to go to Competition Commission which took us more than a month as there is a lot of paper work involved. Its been almost going on three months,” Ajay said.
“I was like how easily and smoothly we can solve it...It is good. It is eventually negative publicity and I don't want that...Even if I want to fight with them I will try to make my product better,” he added.
Ajay also reveals that before taking the legal step, he tried to convey his message to Yash Raj Films on the matter, but as nothing fruitful came out he resorted to filing a notice.
“Through people messages were sent and things were spoken. Directly I haven't met them -- I don't share that rapport with them. And through exhibitors themselves we tried to manage things but when it did not happen..then,” he said.
“In my 20 years of career I am not like someone who would get involved into any controversy...I hate controversy and I tried to be away from it. But what has to be done it has to be done,” he said.
Earlier, YRF in a statement had claimed to have booked less than 1,500 single screens out of the 10,500-plus single screens available on all-India basis.
“We would like to clarify at the outset that we still haven't received any notice from the Commission and will suitably represent our stance if and when called upon to do so,” the statement had said.
However, shedding light on the number of screens available to ADF, Ajay said out of the total 10,000 screens only a handful of them were given to 'Son of Sardaar'.
“Out of the 10,000 screens if they have booked 1,500 and I have 8,000 screens then am I fool to spend money and lose my reputation and go to court. It does not make sense logically. Secondly going by the statistics then out of the 10,000-12,000 screens more than 5,000-6,000 are in South where only regional films release,” he said.
“Then in the remaining 4,000-4,500 screens 1,500-2,000 are closed... Those which are operational are less. For example in Dadar there are about seven single screen theatres they have booked six, in Delhi there are 21 single screens we have three... This is something that has never happened before.. You can verify it,” he added.
ajay respect yashji and postpond your movie
I donot know what's the matter. The war between Yash Raj & Ajay is releasing movie in Diwali right. Once thing i want to clear today or in this year our rock start , Fighter start, Laughter start is only only one that is Ajay Devgon. Only SRK movies are only run for marketing, more Advertising>>>>how many person have seen Ravan...I like your Don 2 movie really very fantastic acting..but not more good than ajay jee. He is our superstart.....aaj Vi aapki gangajal dekta hu to mera blood gram ho jata ha...So i decided friend if i have time in Diwali first day night show watch SOS and next day next week if time then i watch JHTJ..other wise i purchase DVD and watch in my Lappy..
shame to yashraj films to use this type of unfair means. if you are really a good film maker, let public decide the fate of your films. you secured screens from a salman khan film for a shahrukh khan film.
no way..YRF does'nt need to armtwist the distributors..wer is d proof..AD purposely creating fake situation to promote his film by adopting public sympathy on himself..haha..SOS wil definitely a super duper flopppp..
Dera Ajayji, We are with you and totally support you. The Cinemas for both movies shld have been evenly distributed. Wish you good luck. B RGDS/ROHIT JAIN- NAIROBI-KENYA
I will not watch JTHJ in theater. I will definitelt watch SoS in theater howerever bad SoS may be or however good JHTJ will be. It's time to suppport our heroes who play the game fairly. Do hell with so called masters of industry.
I dont know if it will matter, but i will see SoS in the theatre and give Jab Tak Hain Jaan a miss. These guys i.e. YRF and Salim Khan & Sons are like teh underworld in the movie industry. All they do is try to arm twist people into doing what they want. Look at how Salman ruined Vivek's career......if it wasn't for marrying Abhishek Bachchan he would have ruined Aishwarya's life too...... Dont u worry, u are a hard working actor who has all our support. And frankly after seeing "Ek tha Tiger".....i think YRF have lost whatever sense of movie making they had!!
Mr. Vishnu get your facts right. Salman is supporting Ajay in the whole matter. It was not salman who told YRF to release EK tha Tiger in so many screens. He is not like Sharukh khan who uses his muscle power to end its competitors. By the way Sharukh is not salim khan's son. Just bcoz you don't like someone you can't blame the person without verifying the facts.