SP spokesperson Rajendra Choudhary Friday claimed the cases were fake and were lodged to harass and intimidate the SP workers “who raised their voice against the misdeeds” of the Mayawati government.
“Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has issued instructions to district magistrates and SPs to expedite the process of withdrawing the cases against Samajwadi Party workers,” Choudhary said.
Soon after taking power, the SP government had asked its cadre to submit details of cases lodged against them. So far, nearly 7,500 applications have been received.
Choudhary claimed that in the first phase, 3,000 applications have been identified.
These will be taken up first and the cases will be dropped. Justifying the decision as reciprocation on part of the party for the workers’ sacrifice and courage, Choudhary said it would boost their morale.
Most of the cases are related to rowdyism, assault, Arms Act and even SC/ST Act. “The provisions of these acts were misused. Cases were lodged deliberately by SC/ST people for implicating SP workers in serious sections,” claimed Choudhary.
He also said that soon after assuming power, BSP chief Mayawati had lodged nearly 150 cases against SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on a single day. "After that, Mulayam had announced that all these cases would be revoked after he assumed power," he said.
The Akhilesh government has already initiated proceedings for withdrawing cases against ministers Azam Khan, Mehboob Ali and Manoj Paras regarding obstructing a road.