The United Nations agency put out a global alert on Sunday saying a new virus had infected a 49-year-old Qatari who had recently travelled to Saudi Arabia — where another man with an almost identical virus had died. The Qatari remained critically ill in hospital in Britain, according to the WHO’s latest information as of Tuesday.
The WHO said on Wednesday no new case of acute respiratory syndrome with renal failure due to the new virus had been reported but its investigations continued. “We’ve got things in place should things change, should the behaviour of the virus change,” spokesman Gregory Hartl said.
The WHO said it was identifying a network of laboratories that could provide expertise on coronaviruses to countries. Though it is a very different virus from SARS, given the severity of the two confirmed cases so far, WHO is engaged in further characterising the novel coronavirus, it said, referring to genetic sequencing.
SARS infected 8,000 people worldwide and killed 800 of them before being brought under control.
Gears up for Haj next month
The WHO said it was working closely with Saudi authorities regarding health measures for the Haj pilgrimage to Mecca next month when millions of Muslims will pay obeisance at the holy place.
an unknown disease effecting severly respiratory organs of the humans kills many people in the south delhi area and many more are fighting for their lives. No tests,no medicine is effective in this. peoples are dying within 3-4 days. Need immediate help.