“The World Bank team did an assessment of non-motorised transport project for the pilot BRTS wherein the detailed project report were submitted to them. The team has sanctioned Rs 160 crore,” Municipal Commissioner Praveensinh Pardeshi said. The Rs 160 crore component will consist of a 90 per cent loan and the rest 10 per cent as grant.
The civic administration will use the money for improving infrastructure of cycle tracks, cycle stands and safe crossing of roads both for cyclists and pedestrians, he said. The project will include constructing 90 km of cycle track on the roads that will connect to the tracks on BRTS routes and erection of 28 shades for cycle parking on the adjoining lanes. The project includes construction of new footpaths of 44.8 km, modification of 11.2 km existing footpaths and eight combined under passage for pedestrians and cyclists for the two pilot routes.
The 90 km cycle tracks on the adjoining routes will be in addition to the 13 km cycle track on BRTS from Katraj to Swargate on Satara Road and 9 km cycle track from Swargate to Hadapsar on Solapur Road.
The WB team was also impressed with the civic administration efforts to improve the public transport through SPV. “They have shown interest in various development projects to be implemented in the city through SPV,” Pardeshi said.